Actor Cuba Gooding Jr. fulfilled the terms of his plea deal and will face no jail time in relation to his forcible touching case, a judge ruled Thursday.
Emily Tuttle, a spokesperson for the Manhattan District Attorney’s office, confirmed that the terms of the April plea agreement, which required Gooding to remain in alcohol and behavior modification treatment for six months not have any new arrests. Prosecutor Coleen Balbert said Thursday that both of those conditions had been met, according to CBC.
After he Gooding fulfilled the terms of the deal, the court permitted him to withdraw his midemeanor plea and plead guilty to a lesser harassment violation in court. He was sentenced Thursday to time served without any jail time.
Cuba Gooding Jr. avoids jail in touching case, angering accusers https://t.co/14kmCZ5lD4
— The Globe and Mail (@globeandmail) October 13, 2022
Balbert said she has received “positive reports for the last six months” from Gooding’s therapist. “The actor is continuing with treatment beyond the time required by his plea agreement,” Balbert added, according to CBC.
If Gooding had failed to deliver on any of the terms of his plea deal, he would have been sentenced to one year in jail. Thanks to the plea deal, his criminal record remains clean. (RELATED: 9/11 Mastermind May Not Get Death Penalty In Possible Plea Deal)
— New York Post (@nypost) October 13, 2022
The Oscar-winning actor was arrested in June 2019 and charged with forcible touching after a woman told police he touched her without her consent at the Magic Hour Rooftop Bar and Lounge, according to The Washington Post. A few months later, two more women came forward with similar allegations. Gooding has a variety of other charges and court dates to handle in the near future.